Re: [Groff] Re: grn problems with xditview

From: Daniel Senderowicz
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grn problems with xditview
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:51:29 -0800 (PST)

Werner,

>> Given that you properly read "res" in devX100/DESC, then as I said
>> to you in a previous mail, the line thicknesses will be the default
>> ones in the array defthick[] (because res < 256). So the fine will
>> be 1u, the medium 3u and the thick 5u. The relative fine thickness
>> will be 1/100.  If you compare that with the case of the devps/DESC
>> then you'll get 1/256 that is considerably thinner. So, the problem
>> is how to get a thickness less than 1u for low resolution devices.
>
>I believe that it is not a good idea to specify line-thicknesses in
>pixels (except on special request).  What do you think about
>specifying it in points instead (or something similar), i.e., giving
>the values a dimension?  This would be a step towards device
>independence.

I modified the grn code, but after I found out that groff
doesn't accept fractional values for points, e.g. \D't 0.15p'.
So if you pick the minimum linewidth equal to \D't 1p', it's way
too thick that is what you wanted to avoid in the first place.
Do you have any other unit in groff that can fractioned to make
the equivalent of 0.15p?

Dan