[Groff] HTML fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] HTML fonts
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:38:34 GMT

Gaius,

I think that the current font setup is not optimal.  If I read the
code correctly, grohtml only honours R, B, I, BI, and C, ignoring the
font family.

So why are there so many different font definition files?  Wouldn't it
be better to take an approach similar to latin1, i.e., using a
`R.proto' file?

Similarly, why does an `S' font description exist at all?

Additionally, many, many entries are missing in the font description,
e.g. \(em and \(en (which directly map to — and –).  Some
of them are even wrong (e.g. using ­ for `-' which makes a plain
hyphen disappear, at least with Lynx).

I can do the changes if you don't have time, but I want to hear your
opinions first.