Re: [Groff] new grohtml was (HTML fonts)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] new grohtml was (HTML fonts)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:34:46 GMT

> so when groff -t -e -p -Thtml -ms filename.ms is invoked it generates say:
>
> tbl filename.ms | eqn -Thtml | pic | pre-grohtml
>
> the pre-grohtml examines input. Sees .TS, .EN, .PS and the end
> equivalents.  It could cut out these regions of troff input and
> replace with .IMAGE or a positional variant.  It then passes the
> remaining troff input to troff -Thtml | post-grohtml and the cut out
> bits to troff -Tps | grops.  Finally pre-grohtml converts the images
> into transparent png files or pdf files. post-grohtml only handles
> html.

Are you sure that you can cut out some pieces of input?  I doubt that
this is possible, due to macros and other stuff only troff can handle
correctly (except you want to implement troff in grohtml :-) My idea
was rather to add special markers for tables, breaks, etc. to the
input data which will survive processing by troff.  *Then* you can
send the relevant chunks to grops.

So we have

            groff -t -e -p -ms -Thtml ...

 raw troff input |           | troff output
                 V           V

              grohtml stage one

                  |        \
      raw+markers |         \ raw HTML, using raw troff input data
                  |           for further analysis

     groff -t -e -p -ms -Tps ...     |

     troff output |                  |
                  V                  V