Re: [Groff] HTML fonts

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] HTML fonts
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:14:34 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Werner,

> I think that the current font setup is not optimal.  If I read the
> code correctly, grohtml only honours R, B, I, BI, and C, ignoring the
> font family.

yes that is right. It would be good to make it use the font face html
operator - if it is standard html?

> So why are there so many different font definition files?  Wouldn't it
> be better to take an approach similar to latin1, i.e., using a
> `R.proto' file?

this looks very neat I must agree. The minor problem is that the grohtml
driver has to generate html and postscript (for tbl, pic, eqn) - thus
it does need the S font. The grand plan was to make grohtml examine
the regions of gylmphs to see whether any S font encoding is not
understood by html character set - then build a region for the postscript
device - to generate an image. Rather than depend on pic/tbl/eqn telling
grohtml when an image starts & stops.

I'm not sure whether we could get rid of the other font files since
if these fonts were used in a picture/tbl then the positioning
would be incorrect. What do you think? However I - like you I guess :-)
dislike the duplication of information inside devhtml. Maybe this
can be rationalized - similar scheme to R.proto
(encoding of chars in particular).

> Additionally, many, many entries are missing in the font description,
> e.g. \(em and \(en (which directly map to — and –).  Some
> of them are even wrong (e.g. using ­ for `-' which makes a plain
> hyphen disappear, at least with Lynx).

> I can do the changes if you don't have time, but I want to hear your
> opinions first.

many thanks for offering - this is terrific news. Yes I'd welcome
help in sorting out all the characters - and any other bug fixes
you happen to come across.

Also the problem you mentioned before about "pre-defined"
in the man.1 page being rendered as pre- defined.
This is occuring because troff places pre- at the right hand
margin and defined on the left hand margin. Ie it splits the
word (even with hyphernation off).

Is there a troff command to disable this feature?
Maybe Ted knows the answer?

I've got a long "to do list" which I'm more than willing to
post if anyone else would like to help fix grohtml bugs?

cheers Gaius