[Groff] suggestion for grops

From: Dr. Robert Herrmann
Subject: [Groff] suggestion for grops
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:58:03 -0600 (CST)

Much effort has been directed toward creating html files.

-----

At scientific meetings, poster presentations are made using
large format printers, e.g, in the US one has a presentation space
of 4' x 8' ( roughly 1 meter x 2 meters ). Widebed plotters
are available with a widht of 36" (0.91 meters).

I have just used the groff .PSPIC command to create a large
format output from individual groff pages. To do this I mustnow
manually create the %%BoundingBox xl yl xh yh  entry in the PostScript file.

Would it be possible to have a flag -EPS for grops
so that the bounding box is provided?  For my uses, this can
from the medium used, e.g., Letter or Letter with -L flag.
At the troff end, I must define the proper  controls for groff page
management:
        .ll 70.0i
        .pl 40.0i
The -EPS flag would have meaning for Encapsulated PostScript only if
a single page is printed:  groff -ms -o1 -P"-EPS -L"

The feature would also be useful if a groff tutorial is created
in which the output of groff processing is also included

-----

I am willing to contribute some 'groff gems' to a moderated
depository, e.g., printing business cards on perforated stock, and
version -1.0 of the poster shell script.

Bob Herrmann
Professor of Geophysics