RE: [Groff] configure prob.

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] configure prob.
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 12:25:52 -0000 (GMT)

On 09-Jan-00 Eddie Maddox wrote:
> I'm trying to ./configure Groff 1.15 on a Mandrake 6.1 system I just
> installed. config.log says:
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:528: checking for gcc
> configure:641: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
> configure:657: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
>
>#line 652 "configure"
>#include "confdefs.h"
>
> main(){return(0);}
>
> crt1.o I found hiding in: /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/crt1.o.
>
> I tried examining configure to figure out what happened, but it's
> beyond my skill level.
>
> I've done ./configure, make, make install on RH 5.1 and Debian 2.1
> systems and had no problems.

This looks like a problem with your Mandrake installation, not in
the first instance a groff problem.

Anyway, what seems to be happening is that gcc is not finding libraries
it needs, at the stage where groff config is testing whether gcc works.

As a general rule, shared libraries (like ctrl.o) are made available
by being stored in a database of references. This database is set up
by running ldconfig (something which Linux should do at boot time),
at the same time establishing any relevant symbolic links.
However, by default, ldconfig looks in a predefined set of possible
library paths, and you need to tell it explicitly to look in others if
your think they will be needed.

I'm not at all familiar with the Mandrake distribution, so can't advise
in any detail more specific than the above. Maybe some of our readers
know their way round that distribution.

You can try running ldconfig from the command line, with a command
like

   ldconfig /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib

However, I recommend reading "man ldconfig" first; and even better
would be getting good advice from someone familiar with Mandrake!

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 09-Jan-00                                       Time: 12:25:52