gpsd-users

Re: Segfault after upgrade.

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: Segfault after upgrade.
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:50:36 -0700

On 5/25/2020 14:22 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:

re using -n mode, it's as simple as having this at the bottom of your
/etc/default/gpsd file, assuming one is using the example
gpsd.service file that's included in the repo.
You mean the undocumented /etc/default/gpsd file?
Yes and no....the gpsd.service file references it as one of two potential environment files for it to read, so in that respect, it is 'documented' - and /etc/default is quite standard at least in Debian based systems. But I presume you mean it's not documented in the INSTALL.adoc.

And the service file in the repo keeps gpsd running all the time?

Theoretically! Naturally, I didn't like/agree with the choices in the included example gpsd.service, so I made assorted changes for mine, but once installed in /etc/systemd/system and enabled, systemd will start it and run it on reboot. There are, naturally, a 10,000 different ways to skin the cat *built into systemd* (which is one of the reasons people tend to hate it).  So yes, you can configure systemd to monitor and restart gpsd if it exits, but I prefer other means.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com