gpsd-users

Re: Segfault after upgrade.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Segfault after upgrade.
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 12:34:07 -0700

Yo Paul!

I just added your "apt purge gpsd" to INSTALL.adoc.  It might save the
few that RTFM some grief.

Could I get you to clean that up a tad and make it a patch to INSTALL.adoc?

And mention /etc/defaults/gpsd?

This may help those suffering the indignity of systemd(ubious).

Also what is the easiest way to get gpsd to run in -n mode with
systemd(umbesst)?

On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:20:51 -0700
Paul Theodoropoulos via <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5/25/2020 8:25 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> > I tried the github approach, and I was surprised that it worked
> > relatively easily (much more so that some other software I've
> > compiled).  It takes almost half an hour to install the support
> > software and compile, though. This is a single-core "smartphone"
> > chip with just 512 MB of memory after all!  I hadn't found these
> > instructions until a Google search:
> >
> >  https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/installation.html
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting gpsd to auto-start, but that can wait
> > for another day.  ubxtool works as expected to add Galileo to the
> > default MAX-M8Q configuration.
>
> run
>
>     systemctl status gpsd.service
>
> If it reports
>
>     Unit gpsd.service could not be found.
>
> then check in /etc/systemd/system for a gpsd.service file. if there's
> not one there, there is an example one in the repository at
> ./systemd/gpsd.service.
>
> copy that to /etc/systemd/system, edit as desired, then run
>
>     systemctl enable gpsd
>     systemctl start gpsd
>     systemctl status gpsd
>
> That should give you something approximating:
>
>     ● gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
>         Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: enabled)
>         Active: active (exited) since Tue 2020-04-21 16:29:44 PDT; 1
>     months 3 days ago
>       Main PID: 5157 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>         Memory: 1.4M
>            CPU: 1h 21min 49.209s
>         CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
>                 └─5158 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -r -P /run/gpsd.pid
> /dev/gpsd0

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588