gpsd-users

Re: Segfault after upgrade.

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Segfault after upgrade.
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:33:43 +0100

David,

The OS never generates a segmentation violation, only programs does that
and the OS reports back that the program did something illegal.
If the OS makes an error, you usually get a kernel panic/oops message
(and the system goes belly-up).

Most of the strace just shows the dynamic libraries being set up (much
akin to .DLL on Windows).

The bit you quoted below shows that the program tries to access an
unmapped memory location, at address 0x5343ce. You would have to run
cgps under a debugger (e.g. ddd or gdb) to determine why.

Kai

Thanks, Kai, and for the information about the OS.

I'm hoping that the trace will provide enough information for the developer(s) to determine the problem. Perhaps there is a limitation on 3.20 which is documented but which I haven't yet discovered. I do like the facilities in 3.20!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden