gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsfake question

From: Joshua Quesenberry
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsfake question
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 21:07:47 -0400

Gpsd Users,

I'm using gpsfake like this: gpsfake -l -c 0.05 test.nmea

I chose those options so I could a) see the lines printed to the screen as they
were sent to the daemon and b) a rate of 20 Hz since my data is captured at 10
Hz and a GPGGA and GPVTG string for each period.

For observing the data I was hoping to see updates using cgps. I also tried
viewing updates using the gpsd client node in ROS. Neither of these methods
show me data actively changing. Using cgps I see latitude, longitude, and
altitude update at least once, however, time, heading, speed, etc. are missing
and if I stop cgps and reopen it then everything is missing. Using gpspipe -r I
do see strings printed to the screen that appear to be what gpsfake is sending
out.

I used http://freenmea.net/decoder to test a couple of the strings in my file
and they all appear correctly formatted. Again, my file only contains GPGGA and
GPVTG strings. In those strings I'm setting timestamp (using current UTC time),
latitude, longitude, altitude, course over ground (heading), and speed
variables with route data I've collected. I'm hard coding fix type to 1, number
of satellites to 9, and hdop to 0.87.

Here's an example of my data.

Input File (test.csv):
Timestamp,Latitude,Longitude,Elevation,Heading,Speed(m/s)
2487,38.897666,-77.036533,611.8,270.0,15.013000104

Output File (test.nmea):
$GPGGA,004828,3853.8600,N,07702.1920,W,1,09,0.9,611.8,M,0.0,M,,0000*63
$GPVTG,270.0,T,,M,29.2,N,54.0,K*6D

Are there additional NMEA strings I need to send out? My understanding is that
GPGGA and GPVTG has the majority of what is needed for basic navigation.

Thanks!

Josh Q