Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:06:58 +0100

Hi,
I agree with all the discussions and proposals how to improve the Web page and
that it is more important
than the names (or changing them).

IMHO the root problem is that we discuss it approx. twice a year, but do not
find a small (sub) team who
really takes care of it, grabs proposals and complaints, makes a draft for
further discussion and finally makes it public.

But we just place proposals here in this list instead of touching the HTML
code...

Now before someone asks the standard question: why are you not volunteering?

It is the same reason that I think we all have - it is not attractive enough,
and distracts from the
more interesting code hacks. It is easier to make proposals than logging into
the Wiki and editing the page...

I.e. we may need a subproject "GNUstep-web-presence" with bug tracker,
milestones, release schedule etc.
With severals people contributing.

well, last time I made some small changes, too little I admit. SOme changes that were agreed on last time (even in our small LindauSTEP meeting) were of course challenged now. But even back then not anybody agreed. It is too easy to make a "scape goat" forget how many small pieces fit together. Our public appearance is done not only by the website, but by our Wiki, by our releases, by our Mailing list (and the answer we give or not give to newcomers), by our IRC channel, by our actual code, by the packages... It is even given by things we do not have, like a forum, an up-to-date liveCD, you tube tutorials... etc etc

By reading the discussion and rechecking the website, I think that our worst part is actually the Wiki and not the webpage itself. Due to the collaborative nature of the wiki it is full of inconsistent information, obsolete data... which generated confusion. Since the Wiki is tightly linked in our website, it is an important resource. I think it is also correct that the webpage changes and updates slowly.

Riccardo