Re: [GNUnet-developers] A Graph Database for secushare

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] A Graph Database for secushare
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:16:38 +0100

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 07:40:15PM +0100, amirouche wrote:
> This is a follow up thread about my attempt to build a peer-to-peer graph
> database on top of gnunet. My initial thoughts are documented at [0].
> [0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnunet/2014-01/msg00000.html

Oh, couple of years ago! We too have recently been thinking of
using a graph db for our social graph in secushare rather than
any other data storage method, but we could have heard it first
from you, had we been following help-gnunet (I forgot it exists).

> My current idea is to use gnunet fs to share small files (around 1MB) that
> would
> be called meme (or atom or something else, I am not sure about the naming).
> And
> rely on keywords to link it to others. Keywords would be the gnunet URI of
> other
> meme files.

Our idea is to feed the social graph with events coming down many
pubsub multicast trees. An architecture which should provide
better realtimeness as we would need, given we want to replace
Facebook, Whatsapp, Skype and such. But still it's just social
data coming from the network and needing to go into a graphdb,
so much of the work may actually be identical? Also, a social
network running on gnunet-fs could already serve some purposes
or turn out useful in addition to the push-oriented delivery
method. It could be enough for a first secushare release, with
a kind warning not to expect realtimeness, but it sure helps in
dealing with upload filters.  :D

> So there is two ways to discover new content in this database.

In our social graph use case the discovery runs over several
layers of "friendship" connections. Say you're using secushare
for the first time - somebody talked you into trying it out
so you have that person as your first contact. Your secushare
implementation will automatically collect basic knowledge on
your contacts first and maybe second degree of contacts.
Once all of that info has become available on your computer
it contains all kinds of hints about content, like your
contact's friend Richie is a DJ and has published some mixtapes.
The search operation becomes a localhost traversal of the
graphdb, so it is cheap and easy. Also you can just go and
browse the graphdb for interesting content, like a flea market
of friends' friends.

> An improvement over this setup will be to make use of pub-sub (via cadet?) to
> live
> stream changes to the database. I am not there yet. First, I want the meme
> network
> to be a useable slow network (like a newsgroup or mailing list).

So you thought the same way. Well then, welcome to the
secushare working group maybe?

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
   //  http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/