Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github

From: xrs
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 22:45:01 +0200

Hi everybody,

there is another way to see it: reclaiming public (digital) space and
discourse. Similar to facebook, github has gain so much popularity that
it is already constituting social systems and the public sphere. So
for example, if people from Syria or Colombia want to protest and
organise themselves they do it mostly over facebook, yes, saidly, with
all the inherent problems. Even though some of them know about
alternatives (and use them in parallel), it is society that defines the
social norms of communication.

So, I argue that publishing on github should not be considered as
an ethical violation of Free Software norms, but rather as an act of
freedom of expression. By communicating over private mainstream media,
people get a chance to hear or see alternatives, which is in a way
subversive. Let's shape the discourse!

And what a better way is there as to put a 2-line-banner at the
beginning explaining people that the GNUnet project aims to build a new
Internet and replace proprietary platforms like the one you are just
surfing ;)

Thanks for your attention,
xrs