Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github

From: hyazinthe
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 21:08:00 +0200

Hello,

I think that all interests publicly stated here aren't too far away from each
other and form a common notion, which everyone probably can live with in
practice:

Fundamental:
1. Living Free Software consequently is important.
2. Outreach/building a 'bridge' to others is important for community growth.
3. More Accessibility is good for point 2, also in form of more user friendly
descriptions.

Consequences:
Officially GNUnet keeps relying on self-hosting and staying away from GitHub.
Inofficially individuals, who feel the need for GNUnet to be accessible over
GitHub, are free to create a GitHub mirror, but are recommended to not just
build a simple 'bridge', but design it's descriptions and functionality in a
way, which makes it more attractive for visitors of the GitHub mirror, to turn
to the self-hosted infrastructure of the GNUnet project.
The GNUnet project keeps working at becoming more user friendly and accessible,
and individuals feeling the need for GNUnet to go into this direction including
the ones with interest in GNUnet presence on GitHub are recommended to rather
put their appreciated efforts into improving key project-public-interfaces like
the new upcoming website, the documentation, and the README file than creating
said GitHub mirror.

Please consider:
- If you use GitHub, you contribute to a certain amount to making GitHub the
norm - no matter how you use GitHub
- GitHub structurally works against Free Software: GNUnet is licensed GNU
AGPLv3orlater, but it's not possible to make GitHub website template say so. It
just lets you say 'GNU AGPLv3', lets the 'orlater' part drop. So in disfavor of
the GNUnet project, everyone interested in GNUnet project, and the Free
Software movement practically important license clarification is reduced,
especially regarding code sharing capability of GNUnet code with project code
of projects using a new AGPL versions, in case there ever will be a release of
a new AGPL version
- GitHub belongs to Microsoft. Practically, next to Facebook, Google, and
Twitter, Microsoft is an arm of the NSA by the NSA's PRISM program.

Greetings,
Bastian Schmidt