Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:07:05 +0200

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Freedom-for-Web-Pages is
very clear on this: "If you use a site other than www.gnu.org, please
make sure that the site runs on free software alone."

The server-side source-code for github is non-free and copyrighted by
Microsoft, so it's a no-go. I do not care if some GNU packages are less
strict about this, the GNU project does for various reasons not strictly
enforce its own policies, but in this case the reason for _us_ to
deviate from this completely reasonable policy is completely
insufficient from my perspective.

Note that there is no policy against individuals creating GitHub mirrors
of our master Git repository, just as a GNU package we shall not create
any official mirror there.