Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: Martin Schanzenbach
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 18:03:09 +0100

Hi,

As an example to see what I mean, please see https://guides.emberjs.com
/v2.0.0/models/ section "Convention Over Configuration with JSON API".
When you read this you can also do a s/emberjs/gnunet/ and you should
understand my thinking. (Please see emberjs as a representative example
of today's web development frameworks, not as my motivation)

The point is you do not need to learn the data model, request/response
conventions, error handling etc if you have standard. It means you
don't have to write code you do not care about because chances are
somebody already did. Developers care about the GNUnet API and they
need to learn it. But they dont't care about what fancy JSON-RPC/PSYC
protocol it CAN speak and learn it.
If you can give me an easy example how to use a PSYC protocol in a
browser-based JS client to connect to GNUnet API without having to
write a lot of glue code then I will shut up. If not, case in point.

That does not mean that there are no people that would like to use
other means, _especially_ people already familiar with GNUnet. I am
just saying that we need to go with the times and accept reasonable
standards. Even though I work on GNUnet and it basically means breaking
with almost every known standard as a developer I am actually a fan of
standardization. And as a developer I _hate_ it when a library I want
to use shoves a new message format/connection mechanism down my throat
for which I need to build another library when I just want to use it's
functionality.

TL;DR Again: Frameworks/SDKs/Libraries for developers out there do not
implement fancy protocols/message formats. They implement standards.
JSONAPI is a standard.

- Martin