Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:39:20 +0100

Hello again, Dan & Martin!

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 04:48:10PM +0200, Daniel Golle wrote:
> > Great. We already have an extensive jspsyc library that we used in
> > the psyczilla add-on for mozilla. It uses native sockets.
>
> That's the kinda stuff I was thinking of. JSON is useful beyond HTTP.

Actually JSON is less efficient than PSYC, so we don't use it.
See http://www.psyc.eu/libpsyc/bench/benchmark.html

If it'S true that with dbus my computer is parsing and rendering
XML all the time in a sort of digital masturbation, and you tell
me that ubus does the same using JSON, well then I am sorry the
world hasn't developed psycbus instead.

Picking up on the thread you are having with Martin, I understand
the power of ease of use.. but I haven't understood the power of
REST in our use case. How can we leverage HTTP features like
caching if our architecture is mostly about push and there are
no query/cache/retrieve patterns? I read the stackoverflow debate
and still don't understand how it works for us.

> > Huh! Where did you read that? Would I suggest to use PSYC as a mail
> > system if this was true?
>
> I suppose not ;) And that made me wonder...

Mybe it'S because of the historic meaning of the acronym.. which is
a popular problem.. like HTTP is only for hypertext.. SMTP is indeed
simple and SSL is secure. I bet there are more hilarious cases of things
named after goals they have outlived in a good or bad way.

> Maybe I just remember it worngly, but the last time I touched PSYC,
> messages were either delivered right away or lost. Logging-in after
> a connection failure would not show me the history of messages I had
> missed, but rather just what ever happened from then on.

There is a drastic change in architecture between the PSYC1 designed
in 1994 and the PSYC2 that runs over GNUnet. You are probably thinking
of whenever you used a psyced server which can only store messages
for you if you register your account on it - otherwise it doesn't know who
it is keeping messages for and anyobody else could step in and read them.

Or maybe you just tried to use it with a Jabber client. psyced has a
bug for Jabber clients whereby stored messages aren't always delivered
successfully (XMPP is only fully supported for interserver).

Anyway, the problems of an old PSYC1 server are irrelevant in the
new serverless architecture.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/