Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 15:04:09 +0100

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 01:01:01PM +0100, Martin Schanzenbach wrote:
> At this point, if your GNUnet node does not expose the API over REST
> you are welcome to use sockets/custom JSON-RPC in your code for mobile
> (Android) and browser (JS) but then say hello to the year 1998.
> Today, apps communicate with services through rest. Developers are used
> to this and it does make sense because ALL platforms can handle it
> without additional software stacks.

Sorry, this description still doesn't click with me.
Please help me understand because there must be something to it
if an intelligent man like you says this.

Figuring out the REST URLs and parameters means learning an API.
What's the big difference to using an API which is more efficient?
At least with jspsyc you can deal with native PSYC packet data
which is the same that other PSYC apps deal with, no need to find
out how the same thing works over HTTP REST URLs. No need to learn
an API that essentially does the same things as the protocol, if
you can simply learn the protocol. I don't get it.

These folks may be used to learn RESTful APIs, but is it
such a big deal to learn a protocol instead?