Re: [GNUnet-developers] End-user wishlist

From: anonymous1
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] End-user wishlist
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:24:12 -0500

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:39:43PM -0500, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> > * A URL scheme for shared files, so they can be linked to from within
> > hypertext documents
>
> How about "gnunet://HASH1INHEX/HASH2INHEX/CRCINHEX/SIZE"? If someone writes a
> little wrapper for parsing/generating this type of URL, I'll put it in
> util/hashing.c to make it "official". Or are there any objections/problems
> with the above format?

Looks good to me. All it really requires is consistency and a blessing from...
well, you, I guess. (Oh, and implementation would be nice, I suppose.) :)

> I think what you really want is a kio-plugin into konqueror or something like
> that. The plugin should parse GNUnet-directories (once implemented) and spit
> out whatever the browser can then understand (file-entries or HTML). But I'm
> not a KDE hacker, so it would probably be best if someone who is takes this
> on.

I suppose this is fairly likely to happen, but one can always hope a bored
developer will be inspired by Berners-Lee's vision for the real semantic web,
as it was designed before Netscape and Mosaic demolished it with marketing
gimmicks.

> I think we have a concensus except for the hashCash/content rating via-voting
> amendment. The discussion died down a couple of weeks ago and I figured that
> Igor had some very good points at the end, which so far made me re-consider
> this (for me, it basically boils down to that the assumption that the
> attacker
> has less CPU power than the honest participants is probably wrong, since the
> attacker might really just dedicate a machine to computing hash cash). So
> unless someone else comes up with some good arguments here, I guess we'll not
> have the hashCash content rating part (which leaves the system pretty much as
> proposed on the WWW).

This is encouraging. If GNUnet works as well after you finish your directories
work as it does now, you'll have more than surpassed Freenet for features and
functionality, IMO. Everything else I could ask for would be mostly front-end
stuff.

> Sure, as Krista said, we're open for suggestions :-)

Implement gold bullion pool account transactions anonymously and securely so we
can establish a "ghost economy" independent of any fiat money system... then
get your local pizza parlors to set up a GNUnet node so we can buy you pizza
over it.

;)