Re: [GNUnet-developers] Fwd: amortizable hashcash paper

From: Adam Back
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Fwd: amortizable hashcash paper
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:40:04 +0100

So I agree the paper is a bit theoretical oriented.

There is an implementation of the basic hashcash mechanism which you
can download and experiment with available here:

        http://www.cypherspace.org/hashcash/

to use the hashcash client to create amortizable hashcash you just do
as Christian described: keep the largest n tokens you've seen (say 10
tokens or whatever) for each document.

(The "resource name" you'd use for hashcash to tie it to GNUnet
documents would be the unique GNUnet document identifier).

Using the hashcash client (it's a command line unix utility) you can
see the effect that you sometimes get a larger collision.

The overall effect is you generally forward around the largest
collisions you've seen for each document and arrive at an estimate of
the popularity of a file.

Users are able (by expending additional CPU resources) to vote
multiple times on the popularity of a document.

Adam