RE: [GNUnet-developers] Fwd: amortizable hashcash paper

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] Fwd: amortizable hashcash paper
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:19:21 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Jan Marco Alkema wrote:

> In my view gnunet should have both 1 and 2. Depending on the status of the
> information different methods are used.

Depending on the status of the information you can decide whether
you want to download it through gnunet or look it up from google.

> Example download of the last cdfoon. The size is 687 Mb. If the job
> scheduler only downloads the files of the gnunet server of Richard then the
> download will last a very long period (min 12.21 hours). Richard uplink is
> 128 kbit /sec. A better solution is to do more downloads from different
> gnunet servers. File 1 from Richard, file 2 from Iceman, file 3 from Ukkie,
> etc. Maybe split a big file in parts and download each part form different
> gnunet servers simultaneous. N.B. My download speed is 1536 kbit/sec.

You might want to take a look at edonkey or bittorrent, two
pieces of software that are already usable, free, and
efficient for purposes like the one you mention. Especially
bittorrent seems good for dedicated file distribution. Also,
there's a piece of software called mldonkey that brings
many such protocols together under one client app, and whose
authors might very well be open-minded towards all kinds of
fantastic approaches. Perhaps someday mldonkey will support
gnunet afs protocol. Perhaps someday gnunet will support
some efficient, nonanonymous file-transfer mechanism. But
today I don't see too many unbusy and capable hands waiting
to implement such functionality. :(

Igor, floodfillin' the mines