Re: [GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz

From: Krista Bennett
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:46:21 -0500

Jan Marco Alkema hath spoken thusly on Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:42:37PM -0800:
> Hello Krista,
>
> First I want to thank you for answering the central server problem in
> English to the other members of the mail list.
>
> I hate to reinvent wheels. I always work on an efficient way --)

You're welcome.

However, the arguments about the CMG source code have been made and made
and made again.

***It's the wrong thing to do.***

We absolutely refuse to have *anything* to do with it. End of story. Even
if you "rewrite the source code enough", it's still plagiarism. Period. If
you don't have the skill or resources to write the software legitimately
(and as so many have said, writing a Java GUI is trivial), then get the
skills or don't do it.

This doesn't need to be discussed yet again.

> P.S. Mine intention is not to use JNI, because the Java source should be
> platform independent.

Then you will probably have to rewrite all of GNUnet. Hopefully, you
understand what that entails.

I'm sorry I'm not addressing the rest of your e-mail; I was just surprised
to see the illicit proprietary source code issue pop up again, and wanted
to nip it in the bud.

I am saying, and let this be very clear, that we want nothing to do with
it. End of story. Ok?

Please, if you feel the need to further justify this with someone on the
list you're having a conversation with, take it to private e-mail. I'm not
trying to play the censor; I'm just getting tired of people having to say
the same thing over and over again when it's fairly clear what position
the development team and the general community have taken.

- Krista

Krista Bennett                               address@hidden
Graduate Student
Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics
Purdue University

         If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit.
             There's no use being a damn fool about it.
                           -- W.C. Fields