[GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:42:37 -0800

Hello Krista,

First I want to thank you for answering the central server problem in
English to the other members of the mail list.

I hate to reinvent wheels. I always work on an efficient way --)

I known the laws of copy right and database (“databank wet”) laws. In the
Netherlands they don’t have patents on ideas in relation to computer
software.

I don’t think I have a copy right problem if I rewrite the source code
enough. The screens will be very different. If I come in a court I can let
them easily see that the program works very different. The other party
“doesn’t” compile mine sources to blame me to use their code. After
rewriting the code the only thing I use is the design of the Java program.
Which doesn’t belong to a patent.

I want to study for lawyer. Maybe a good training on the job if the want to
sue me ---). CMG can hire me. I will tell them not to use Java if the want
the source to be secret. KPN has contracts to companies to use an update
version. In mine opinion Company’s are restricted to reuse the source code.
In the license they speak about “Contractant”. Because I haven’t signed for
a contract I am not sue able on that point.

Back to business:
In mine opinion there are three levels of abstraction;

First level: File sharing. There are a lot of systems on the Internet Gnut,
Freenet, etc. Mostly very simple flat file systems are used as ‘database’.

Second level: You can copy “Distributions” of applications, audio (music),
video (films). You can copy a CD, DVD over the network on a very
user-friendly way. In this level good database systems are used. Some
functionality of CloneCD can be identified in this level. Physical
distributions have cylinders, sectors, tracks.

Third level: Database synchronization. I will test this level with the
postal codes of the Netherlands. I have a database of 2001 and I get the
database of 2002 in December 2002. Only the different records must be spread
on the network.

If I look to Gnunet specifications it is mainly working on the first level.

>Design first.

Today I have made a little design in conceptual blocks. Mine scope can be
different of the scope of gnunet. See also
http://www.foonsearch.com/foonsearch/foonsearch.txt

Fsh is a conceptual program for automatically Software control and
distribution of programs (gnunet core, girotel, girotel, speech,
cataloghost, catalog/cdrecord, foonrip, database_synchronization, etc.). The
source will be collected automatically from a depot server (for instance the
gnunet depot server). If a program is not good, you should automatically
roll it back with a pervious version of the program. Pervious version are
zipped on the end user server. The depot server set in a database the
current version of a program. The server of the end user will look in his
own database and in the database on the depot server what the current
version of a program is. Only the files which are not on the local server
are transferred (zipped) over the Internet. N.B. The “fsh idea” I have from
cygwin. If you download cygwin the download program checks the files from a
depot server.

Yesterday I have jdbc working on mine test Linux server. You can make the
COFFEES table in MySQL from the Java platform. See also
http://www.foonsearch.com/foonsearch/foonsearch-0.00.tar.gz

# java CreateCoffees

# java CreateCoffees
SQLException: General error: Table 'COFFEES' already exists

This weekend I copy more source in, to get a next version of the Java
source,

Greetings Jan Marco

P.S. Mine intention is not to use JNI, because the Java source should be
platform independent.