Re: GNU Herds' FS pledges, and a related experiment

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds' FS pledges, and a related experiment
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:37:31 +0100

inimino wrote:
> > The pledges idea is cool, but so that it works we should all work on the
> > same platform.
>
> I expect it may take several experiments to learn what works or what
> doesn't. I haven't tried this before so I am looking to gather information
> by trying a variety of different approaches.
>
> I believe that a convincing and effective answer to these questions will
> help a lot to fill some of the current gaps in free software.  I think we
> can have multiple platforms and try to see what works.  I'm happy to help
> work on moving the existing GNU Herds' platform forward at the same time as
> trying my own experiments.

Great!

> I'm also very interested in learning from the existing work that's been
> done at GNU Herds, and if there's any resources you could recommend on the
> history of the project I'd like to read about it.

The idea was from Neal.  It has evolved along the last seven years.

Email list archive:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/

Unfortunately the archives previous to the Savannah hosting are lost.
Previously to the Savannah hosting the project was hosted at
25thandclement.com machine by Bill. I keep a copy in my personal archive. I
can send you it if you want.

> >>   1. Suggest a few small software projects that might be interesting
> >>      or generally useful.
> >
> > That is already supported at GNU Herds.  The minimun donation required to
> > create a donation-pledge-group is 2 cents.
>
> The key difference as far as I can tell between GNU Herds' approach and the
> approach I've taken in this experiment is that the Herds pledges are open-
> ended, and pledges may be made for as long as necessary until someone
> chooses to take the project on.  In this experiment, I've already committed
> the time up front, and the pledges run for a limited time in order to
> determine what I'll be working on.
>
> Most of the differences you highlight arise from this difference in
> approach.
>
> I suspect both approaches may work best in different circumstances, but I
> don't have any real theory about what those might be just yet.

> >>   2. Allow a week for interested people to pledge donations to the
> >>      project of their choice.
> >
> > GNU Herds does not force such limitation on period, "one week".
>
> The benefit of this is that people who pledge will know that they can see
> results (either their project wins or it does not) at a known point in the
> future.

Interesting.

> After this experiment runs and I publish what I've learned, perhaps the GNU
> Herds pledge system can adapt some of the lessons learned so we all
> benefit.

Great!  We will try to send you more feedback.

> I'm not familiar with this loop hole and unfortunately have not had time to
> get a firm grasp of the AGPLv3 yet.

AGPLv3 is the same than GPLv3 except by the addition of section 13.

  13. Remote Network Interaction; Use with the GNU General Public License.

  http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

The 13 section tries to close the ASP loop hole.