Re: GNU Herds' FS pledges, and a related experiment

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds' FS pledges, and a related experiment
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:33:39 +0100

Hi again inimino,

The pledges idea is cool, but so that it works we should all work on the same
platform.

inimino wrote:
> I launched an experiment this morning in publicly funded free software,
> which you can see here:
>
>   http://inimino.org/pffs/experiment
>

> The Plan:
>
>   1. Suggest a few small software projects that might be interesting
>      or generally useful.

That is already supported at GNU Herds.  The minimun donation required to
create a donation-pledge-group is 2 cents.

>   2. Allow a week for interested people to pledge donations to the
>      project of their choice.

GNU Herds does not force such limitation on period, "one week".

>   3. Choose the project for which the most has been pledged. Those
>      who pledged to the winning project must then donate; those who
>      pledged to a project that didn't win owe nothing.

Too complex.

>   4. Work full time for two weeks on the selected project, publishing
>      daily progress updates, with code published as often as possible.

This requirement is too hard.

>   5. Release the code under a permissive FOSS license.

We propose to use free software licenses. 'permissive' is not the right word
here.

>   6. Release a summary of the project, lessons learned, and future plans.

This requirement is too hard.

> There would seem to be some opportunity for cross-pollination of ideas
> at least, and maybe we can share some code too.

The GNU Herds source code is free software, licensed under AGPLv3 to try to
avoid the ASP loop hole other licenses suffer.

You could try to add your 3 new donation-pledge-groups at GNU Herds to keep
track of your pledge proposals: Tree Explorer, lgrep, grapher.

Best regards,
Davi