Re: job offers which are not

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: job offers which are not
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:41:40 +0200

Neal E. Coombes wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > Matt Lee has contacted me via IRC to report that he (the FSF) has filled
> > a job at GNU Herds [2].
> >
> >  [2] http://gnuherds.org/offers?id=46
> >
> > However such job offer is to look for a volunteer and though the Contract
> > Type is set to "Indefinite" the offer shows that the Salary is _zero_
> > dollars.
>
> I think it would be a shame to limit the number of offers that may be
> posted by forbidding volunteer positions.  However, the system should be
> able to filter them out, or focus on them based on the users interest.

Good idea! We can add more options at the Settings section where users
configure the alerts via email.

> I think having more postings is a good opportunity for testing the system,
> and it is more inviting to those who may have a mixed bag of positions.
> Again, filtering out positions is of key importance, because if I'm looking
> and there are hundreds of positions of which 2 are paid, I don't want to
> sift through them to find them.

The "Job filtering and search" was too a Victor Engmark's request [1].
I have raised the priority of such task.

  [1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6841

> All this being said, I'm not the one putting in the effort to develop the
> gnuherds application.

The project is a democratic association, so the one who work more has not
special powers.  Users (members) have the power.

> An additional thought: With the micro-payments idea, it may be possible for
> volunteer positions to become paid with the possibility of interested
> parties donating to a particular position.

That idea is great Neal! I am taking note of it to be added to the functional
requirements.

If nobody disagree, we can report tomorrow to Matt Lee about he can follow
adding such offers.  We will adapt the webapp to best fit with such type of
offers addind the above requirements, etc.