Fwd: Re: GNU Herds vs RMS/FSF -- joining both

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Fwd: Re: GNU Herds vs RMS/FSF -- joining both
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 01:06:56 +0200

Subject: Re: GNU Herds vs RMS/FSF -- joining both
Date: Saturday 03 May 2008
From: Matt Lee <address@hidden>
To: Davi Leal <address@hidden>

Davi Leal wrote:

> IMHO you feel that just because it is listing now such kind of jobs. RMS/FSF
> has been working hard to be able to show such listing.

It's listed those kind of jobs for years.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990827052008/http://www.gnu.org/jobs/ shows
 the original page, in 1999 listing the same kind of jobs.

> The FSF could have done it with GNU Herds, to the benefit of all people and
> comunity in general. Instead the easy-money way was chosen.

I don't agree. Posting a job on GNU Herds is currently very difficult.

Firstly, I had to register for an account, then wait for my password by
email, then fill in a whole bunch of information about my company, then
go through a very long process to actually submit a job.

Also, you should fix your security certificate. The link in the email
you sent me refused to open until I manually added an exception for your
site.

Contrast your process with this one:-

https://jobs.37signals.com/jobs/new

We're trying to make it easy for jobs to be posted on the FSF website.

Most people will already have some kind of information about the job.
With our current set up, they can simply email it to us.

What would be the benefit to the community of using GNU Herds?
Currently, given the problems highlighted above, I don't think 'all
people' would find the current system very easy to use.

> GNU Herds was not thought just as a place where ask for volunteers. It was
> designed too to get full time jobs. That helps FS contributors and so fit
> with the aims [1].

Great. So, full time positions can afford to pay for a listing.

> Nowadays "social network" is an overused term. Any web application which
allow
> users registration can be named as social network. The FSF listing could be
> named as "social network" too.

The FSF listing doesn't require or make use of any registration, so no,
I don't think so.

> GNU Herds is managed by its own users [2] [3], so IMHO it is not a
> pseudo-controlled social network as some we all know of. IMHO the FSF
listing
> seems more a social network than GNU Herds does.

How can the FSF listing be considered a social network?

> IMHO, if the FSF renounces to that $250 per offer the community could win a
> lot more than those $250 per offer.  That would be a true-service (gratis)
> the community and people in general. That was the idea we were proposing to
> RMS. We have spent a lot of energy to work it out.

I still don't understand the problem with the charge. It's a way to
raise funds for the FSF. I understand your plan involves doing it
without charge. Our plan doesn't.

We also have a service directory, http://www.fsf.org/resources/service

> The FSF proposal is following a too much controlled way which I think will
not
> match with the GNU Herds goals [4].

The FSF Jobs Page is not trying to meet the goals of the GNU Herds
project. What's 'too controlled' about it though? Currently, I don't see
any jobs listed on your website, and we have quite a few.

> My feeling is that the FSF has just got the idea with the aim to get money,
as
> you as already exposed several times. What a pity!

We've had a jobs page for many, many years. We're now giving it more
attention, as part of that, we're raising funds for the FSF.