Re: GNU Herds vs RMS/FSF -- joining both

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: GNU Herds vs RMS/FSF -- joining both
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:47:52 +0100

2008/4/30 Davi Leal <address@hidden>:

> <mattl> i don't see why you'd be against it. Are you against the FSF?

Matt has a kind of 'inside joke' where he accuses people of "hating
freedom" - for example,  free software developers contributing to BSD
distributions.

In my opinion he ought not to taunt people like this because although
I believe he intends this to be humorous exaggeration, it doesn't
always come across like that.

Similarly here, I think it is unfortunate that he has made an
accusation that an active GNU hacker is "against the FSF" because you
don't like the single high fee for job listings on the FSF website. I
think the FSF jobs site is good for hiring people for full time
employment or very large jobs, but connecting users who want features
and have money with developers - as GNU Herds does - is something that
ought to be as costless as possible (and there are costs other than
money)

So I hope you'll ignore this kind of thing, Davi; I think GNU Herds is
an important project, I used it already to find a developer for a
small programming job, and would not have afforded the fee charged by
the FSF to get that work done - it is almost half the cost of the
work.

So keep up the great work - and I hope to see you at the upcoming GNU hackers
meeting in Bristol, UK :-)

--
Regards,
Dave