Re: Cooperatives' network

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Cooperatives' network
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 00:56:19 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> I'll ask if anyone is willing to advise - acquaintances first, then a
> public call for help if needed.

> I'll be back in touch once I've asked for expert help.

Read below some ramdon thoughts. More the weekend. I have to follow analyzing
all the information.

> >   * Independent cooperatives which use a common brand to make it easier
> >     get customers.
> >
> >   * The cooperative set could be for example:
> >        London
> >        Roma
> >        New York
> >       ... add more along time, on demand ...
>
> Who would be the members?  This sounds to me like it is some sort of
> international secondary/marketing cooperative, with software
> developers or development companies as members.  A hi-tech equivalent
> of farm producer cooperatives like http://www.eostreorganics.org/

The "international marketing cooperative" could not be needed due to marketing
could be realized by each independent cooperative, at its local scope.
However an international image (website, etc.) should be developed. And just
that could be OK to start with.

Interaction between cooperatives could contribute more production power and
flexibility.

Just "Worker Cooperatives", owned and controlled by its employees, match with
my first thought.

Will "Secondary Co-operatives" be actually needed to start? Maybe not for the
first two independent Cooperatives.  Anyhow, I could be mistaken. We should
find the right way to start this.

IMHO any piece should be started on-demand.

About cooperative principles, maybe the "open membership" one could raise
problems. It reads:

 1. Voluntary and Open Membership
      Co-operatives are voluntary organizations, open to _all_ persons
      able to use their services and willing to accept responsibilities
      of membership, without gender, social, racial, political, or
      religious discrimination.

The cooperative network could not be able to absorb all people which demand to
join.  Is some kind of limit or control needed, to avoid the cooperative
bringing to a standstill?  Not everybody is qualified to be a producer. You
join, but the marker do not buy you.

Is the cooperative model the right one? Should we adapt such model to our
needs?

We should take care of Cooperative dimension vs market demand, Cooperative
organization and geographic distribution.

Another subject could be the Human Profiles. It is not the same an architect
than a bricklayer.  The farmer case is simpler; The product quality and weigh
is measured, and the farmer get the payment according to it.

On the other hand, we should try to get the right way to be all equals.

We can follow thinking about it to mature the proposal and start. I hope we do
not realize any mistake which can not be fixed later.

Best regards,
Davi