Re: [gnu.org #342287] Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?

From: GNU Herds work team
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #342287] Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 15:32:56 +0200

address@hidden via RT wrote:
> > We wait for some of the Chief Webmaster, the Campaigns people or the
> > sysadmins let us know something to do.
>
> I see the site relies on 'GeoIP' - is this free software?

mod_geoip2 is an Apache 2.0 module for finding the country and city
that a web request originated from.  It uses the GeoIP library and
database to perform the look up.  It is free software, licensed under
the Apache license. Subject to GPL/LGPL for APIs and database license:

  http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry
  http://www.maxmind.com/app/c

We have installed the  libapache2-mod-geoip  package and the database [1], to
be able to use the apache_note function [2] at the language preference
management [3]:

  [1] http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoIP.dat.gz
  [2] http://es.php.net/apache_note
  [3] source code: Layer-2__Business_logic/others/Language_form.php

> I don't think
> the site being in PHP is a particularly bad thing, as the site could be
> seperate from the other sites on the machine, or even on its own Xen
> slice, in order to isolate it.
>
> That said, our sysadmins are standardising on Django, and if you were
> willing to put the work into rewriting the site, and making it available
> under the GNU AGPL v3, that would certainly fit in better with current
> trends. I see you're already under v1, so that wouldn't be too hard.

Yes, we will move to GNU AGPL v3 when released. It will be better license.

If the rewrite is a must we will do it at the time you ask for it. Anyway, if
it is possible we could try the PHP version and develop the new Django
version, or whatever, without hurry.

Is the Django decision definitive?

> Would this site have its own identity or would it be branded the same as
> www.gnu.org ? Perhaps we could create a similar, but not identical skin.

I suppose we will wait for what the Campaigns people and others say about it.

> Finally, you should work with myself to ensure the website meets our
> expected quality for accessibility, usability and web standards. This
> would involve some significant changes to your template, but shouldn't
> be a problem if you intend to rewrite in Django.

We are sure there are a lot of accessibility, usability issues. Let us know
anything which must be fixed.

Maybe we can fix it in the current PHP code, and when we have a PHP version
which is production ready we can begin the development of the Django version?

The current code is using  "HTML 4.01 Transitional"  and a <table>s based
layout.  We planned move to  "HTML 4.01 Strict",  not to  "XHTML 1.0 Strict"
and to a <div>s based layout.

However, we see that  www.gnu.org  is using  "XHTML 1.0 Strict",  and that
www.fsf.org  is using  "XHTML 1.0 Transitional".

You could take a look at the conclusion section of "Beware of XHTML" [4] and
let us know what you think about it:

  [4] http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml

Finally, we have thought move at some time from CVS to the new Git support at
Savannah. What would you prefer?

Best regards,
The work team