Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?

From: GNU Herds work team
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: hosting at the FSF ?
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:24:33 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
> The FSF has no machines for hosting "web apps", if that term implies
> that some special software is installed.  Our sysadmins have to be
> very careful about whatever software is installed on our web servers.
>
> If it is just a matter of HTML files, that we CAN do.  We would have
> to look at the site's contents, and judge that it is really ok for our
> site.  The webmasters may have other issues, too.

We will adapt the webapp to your needs, for example due to a MySQL vs
PostgreSQL issue.

If it is not possible or convenient install it at the 'main' FSF machines with
the higher level of security and confidence, maybe it could be installed at
the Savannah machine.   We know that it uses the same GNU/Linux distribution
than the one used by the current gnuherds server, so less software problems.

We know that Savannah is managed differently than other FSF computers. It is
ran by volunteers with root access. That is not good by security reasons, but
anyway it would be a better host than the current one.   If we have to do
administration tasks via ssh, we will not require root access, just a normal
user account.

Let us know anything we must modify or feel free to modify it.

Best regards,
The work team