gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver Documentation

From: Jens Müller
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] Appserver Documentation
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 18:55:02 +0200

Reinhard Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

>> I would like to be able to define a master business object that
>> consists of regular business objects that ultimately relate to
>> various tables.  The relationship between master business objects and
>> regular business objects would be many to many.
>>
>> This allows us to define smaller scale business objects that are
>> related to master business objects but remove the various join
>> details from the GUI.
>
> Sorry, I still have problems to follow you. Could you please supply a
> simple example?

I take Amazon as an example. They have many different goods to sell,
which have different properties, e.g. books, DVDs, electronic stuff.

A book has an author, which is relevant for Amazon[1], a digital
camera has not.

While sometimes these different properties are relevant (data mining,
shop browsing[2]), when on an invoice, they are all the same. It would
be inconvenient to provide for seperate relations from the invoice
object to book objects, to DVD objects, to electronic article objects,
etc.

Footnotes:
[1]  They use this for data mining, inter alia.

[2]  They have different categories for different article types.

--
Please don't CC me on replies!