gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] [GEAS] [doc: White Paper] GOAT: Object transparency

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] [GEAS] [doc: White Paper] GOAT: Object transparency
Date: 09 May 2002 18:58:12 +0200

Am Don, 2002-05-09 um 00.59 schrieb Jens Müller:
> What is meant with that?

Basically I understand here that not every field in an object is mapped
1:1 to a column in the database. There will be e.g. calculated fields
that have no database column, and there will probably be database
columns that have no fields assigned with them directly.

Maybe even the same on object/table level: not every object will have a
directly assigned database table.

> Is there already a consensus about how abstract base classes should be
> implemented?

TheMysteriousCodeFormerlyKnownAsGeas(TM) supported (tried to support)
inheritance. This is one of the features that never really worked
perfectly but made a lot of troubles. Apart from that, in the real
application business objects we designed so far, we didn't find /much/
use for inheritance. So we are still undecided if the new Appserver will
support inheritance at all.

It looks like Neil and me are discussiong something on another thread in
this list which could end up in a replacement for inheritance.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project