Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake build system progress

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake build system progress
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:04:20 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 08:27:09AM -0500, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> In CMake, you specify targets to build. CMake doesn't like it when
> different targets have the same name. Both libgnucap.so and the gnucap
> executable would have the same target name (CMake prepends "lib" to
> libraries on most platforms). My workaround is to build the main
> executable as "gnucap-ui" but then install it back as "gnucap".

i see. i think i have already asked about that some time ago :)

> I wasn't aware that GnuCap installed header files. I should probably
> figure out how the build process is supposed to work before I write one.

without the headers, its difficult to compile plugins. the old build
system currently also skips them. i think ${pkgincludedir} =
${includedir}/gnucap is a good place for these headers.

> Should the libraries be install in lib, or elsewhere, then?

there's one library and a plugin. i think it's most appropriate to
install the library to ${libdir} ("/usr/lib", usually) and the plugin(s)
to ${pkglibdir} (defaults to ${libdir}/gnucap). cmake apparently tries
to support gnu-style [1], i'm not sure to what extent.

> $ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/my/little/place ..

ok

thanks
felix

[1] http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/module/GNUInstallDirs.html