Re: [Gnucap-devel] RPATH? Was: Re: CMake build system progress

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] RPATH? Was: Re: CMake build system progress
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 13:37:19 -0500

On 05/26/2014 06:04, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> i need to correct myself: perhaps this one is okay. maybe it's a matter
> of taste. i'm slightly biased towards (always) adding the RPATH, but it
> looks more important to agree about what the default should be.
>
> [ ] add rpath to (installed) gnucap binary, pointing to the directory
>     containing libgnucap.*. this is not always necessary (c.f.
>     /etc/ld.so.conf), but useful anyway.
>
> [ ] no rpath for (installed) gnucap binary. lets assume everyone knows
>     how to tune $libdir, linker configuration or environment variables.
>        (this is the situation in the old build system, and also the
>        autotools branch build system).
>
> what do you think?

I think installing with RPATH is useful, but shouldn't be a required
behavior for any build system. It is even better if the user can control
whether to use it or not.

I am also biased towards installing with RPATH by default, since I do
custom prefix builds very often, usually with a different prefix for
each program. CMake is definitely capable of doing this [1], but it will
simply require a little more work on my part.

[1] http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_RPATH_handling

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng