Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake build system progress

From: Kevin Zheng
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake build system progress
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 08:27:09 -0500

On 05/20/2014 15:28, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> ok. now i get an exacutable main/gnucap-ui (why ui?).

In CMake, you specify targets to build. CMake doesn't like it when
different targets have the same name. Both libgnucap.so and the gnucap
executable would have the same target name (CMake prepends "lib" to
libraries on most platforms). My workaround is to build the main
executable as "gnucap-ui" but then install it back as "gnucap".

> then, i tried to install:
> $ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/GC
> [..]
> $ find /tmp/GC
> /tmp/GC
> /tmp/GC/usr
> /tmp/GC/usr/local
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/bin
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/bin/gnucap-modelgen
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/bin/gnucap
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/lib
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnucap.so
> /tmp/GC/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnucap-default-plugins.so
>
> the headers are missing. also, i'm pretty sure that
> libgnucap-default-plugins.so should be a plugin and, as such, not be
> exposed to global namespace. (unfortunately there is some trouble with
> output code symbols involved, see the mailing list archive).

I wasn't aware that GnuCap installed header files. I should probably
figure out how the build process is supposed to work before I write one.

Should the libraries be install in lib, or elsewhere, then?

> how can i customize the prefix?

$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/my/little/place ..
$ make

Alternatively, you can edit this (and other settings) in a text user
interface by running:

$ ccmake ..

Be sure to configure, and then generate before exiting. If you wanted,
you could also run:

$ cmake-gui ..

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng