Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 19:41:37 +0200

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:00:48PM +0800, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> On 07/27/2013 18:29, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > the *-WIP branches are not intended for merge into anything. merging
> > anyway will lead to an unholy mess after i will have finished my branch.
>
> My original intention was to try to have CMake play nice with autotools;
> that way when the dust settles users can pick their favorite build
> system and use it. I suppose I should do a big merge when autotools is
> no longer WIP instead?

please do anything you want with WIP branches. i came up with WIP to
overcome the generally accepted practice of "Don't change published
history", e.g. [1]. it simply doesn't make sense to me to not publish
drafts.

so... if you merge some-WIP into another-WIP, you will have to redo that
-- every time some-WIP changes.

> Thanks for pointing that out; the branch is renamed. Cross your fingers
> that I don't blow anything up :D

you can do "git push repo :branch" to delete "branch" from the remote
"repo".

what's more important: do you agree on the way i thing patchlev.h should
work? is this feasible with CMake? i think all build systems should
(approximately) do the same...

have fun
felix

[1] sethrobertson.github.io/GitBestPractices/