Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 01:37:33 -0400

On Sunday 04 August 2013, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> I was thinking; should version information be stored in a
> separate object file rather than a header? When the version
> information changes, it forces 'make' to rebuild most/all of
> the source files. This makes it impossible to benefit from
> 'make' dependency tracking or ccache. Tell me what you
> think.

Gnucap tradition is that it is related to the published version
and RCS checkin number.  The date is the date of the checkin to
RCS (version control system used by gnucap until recently).

There's also the $Id$ tag in all the source files.  In the past
it was updated by RCS, but GIT doesn't do that.  It looks like
it must be done manually now.

It is stored in a header so it is copied into object files
compiled with it.  Previously it was printed once.  Now it is
printed 3 times, from 3 sources, showing the 3 parts of the
program.

Perhaps the answer to your question is to leave it as a header,
but omit it from the dependency tracking.