Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] CMake WIP
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 22:10:09 -0400

On Saturday 27 July 2013, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> My original intention was to try to have CMake play nice with
> autotools; that way when the dust settles users can pick
> their favorite build system and use it. I suppose I should
> do a big merge when autotools is no longer WIP instead?

cmake-WIP should be based on "master", which changes slowly.

Then when it is ready, it a simple matter to push it to master.

It is not known now which of autotools-WIP or cmake-WIP will be
ready first.

Whatever you base it on, you need to rebase when the base
changes.  If you base on something that is changing fast, you
can go nuts doing that.

It is important to keep the WIP branches focused.  If you are
working on more than one extension, keep them separate.  This
has been a problem in the past, when there is a fork and we try
to incorporate the changes.  A single branch has some that are
ready and some that are not, so I need to cherry-pick, and run
into issues.  The result is that there are enhancements in
existence that are not pushed to main because they are shared
with others that are not.