[Gnucap-devel] makefiles (was: GSoC)

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] makefiles (was: GSoC)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 00:27:39 +0200

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:35:20AM -0400, al davis wrote:
> One feature is the ability to have several simultaneous builds
> ..  "make debug"  "make g++"  "make mingw" .

this is as close as get using automake:
somewhere there are lines similar to
bin_PROGRAMS = gnucap
gnucap_SOURCES = $(SOME_CC_FILES)
gnucap_CPPFLAGS = $(AM_CPPFLAGS)

the bin_PROGRAMS target tells automake that we want a binary that will
end up in $prefix/bin/gnucap. add 3 more lines.

EXTRA_PROGRAMS = gnucapdebug
gnucapdebug_SOURCES = gnucap_SOURCES
gnucapdebug_CPPFLAGS = $(AM_CPPFLAGS) -g -O0 -DSOME_EXTRA_DEBUGGING

now rules for a binary called 'gnucapdebug' are emitted. but gnucapdebug
is put together from SOME_CC_FILES after a second compile (with the
specified flags). the intermediate object files names will be prefixed
"gnucapdebug-". also, EXTRA_PROGRAMS is irrelevant for the install
target, and thus gnucapdebug is only compiled when intended.

> change the file list without needing to rerun configure.

a rule similar to
Makefile: Makefile.am
        path/to/the/right/config.status

will do the trick. nevertheless this is not a recommendation, as I
have not checked it for potential side effects.

> This is not the final list.  There are problems with the build,
> so it is not "released".
>
> There are issues with some files...
> include/s_tr.h ... is not supposed to be available for plugins
> include/d_*.h ... incomplete work.
> include/d_logic.h, include/e_node.h ... disorganized code to
> support the Verilog "connectmodule".

anyway i'm looking forward to a next release...

regards
felix