Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap and summer of code

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Gnucap and summer of code
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:46:53 +0100

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 01:54:07PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> http://gnucap.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=gnucap:projects
>
> ("Gnucap has been using two different build systems, [the autoconf based]
> does not provide features needed for development or multiple
> simultaneous builds.")

what would these features for development be?

> With plugins, neither of these is any where near adequate, and there is
> enough work to do to justify it as a whole summer project. It needs to
> handle plugins as part of the base install, and plugins added later. It
> needs to provide an environment to handle user plugins nicely.

I have already implemented something related:
- a module directory containing source for .so's.
- install .so's to something like $prefix/lib/gnucap
- gnucap looks for modules there (via config.h)
- .. and traverses a colon-seperated includepath list
- ~/.gnucaprc and $(pwd)(../)*/.gnucaprc loading
- a gnucap-conf script that helps out of tree .so builds
- (maybe more, don't remember)

all of this is rather ad-hoc and needs review, sanity checks and rebase
against upstream gnucap. if it intersects what you have in mind, i'd be
willing to help with these...

regards
felix