gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:35:56 -0500

On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 06:07  AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Sunday, December 22, 2002, at 10:12  Uhr, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
Well, the feeling I have when reading 'Real-Time rendering' and the opengl 2.0 specs is that people are going to mimic more and more Renderman in real time.

Exactly, but why not then use RenderMan intead of one of the many OpenGL based (and limited) variants such as Cg, OpenGL 2.0 shaders or SGI's OpenGL Shader? I think RenderMan is still superior to these.

I am willing to support RenderMan API. We can, as you say, start with a subset. The benefit is that we will probably attract more input from other RenderMan developers. It resides at a higher level of abstraction, which I like, and so anyone who wishes can incorporate OpenGL 2.0 or Cg or whatever they wish.

I would like to keep open the option that the lower level APIs could be exposed as required by the application, if possible.

Brent Gulanowski
--
Mac game development news and discussion
http://www.idevgames.com