gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface

From: Gerard Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:12:18 +0100

Hi,

Well, the feeling I have when reading 'Real-Time rendering' and the opengl 2.0 specs is that people are going to mimic more and more Renderman in real time.

I see the real interest in the language as basis for our native file format or something like that.

But on the API side I don't see exactly what it means? Are you thinking about a new improved version of QuickRenderman ?

I remember that Steve Jobs tried to sell something like that to John Carmack at the time the new Apple was deciding for the 3D technology to use, they chosen OpenGL...

I am taking a look back to my copy of Renderman Companion and will see what we can do with that.

On an other side I am not convinced that it is so important to be gfx engine agnostic, I know well this kind of point of view, but for me the real interest of 3DKit is to provide a powerful object API to make easily 3D interactive world to do research experiment.

I am not sure that it is a good idea to try to build a formal 3D API without a concrete application in mind.

My own dream is to build a Maya like application in Cocoa ;) Maya is a good example because it is a typical modular application that allows people to build very specialized modeling/design application, and the power of ObjC serve well this kind of approach.

We need this kind of objective to build something useful, unless that we will move from one idea to an other without real focus.

I know that a lot of people target game like application, but I think that game are very optimized code that will not be well made with an ObjC API. Maybe I am wrong ?

One of my main objective is to build a simple 3D toolkit that would be very simple to use for simple things but would be able to make more complicated things if needed.

I will come back to the discussion after the reading of the Renderman Companion (again :) )

One more thing : what is the status of GeometryKit, I am in the process to build a simple example to show the use of the math elements in the GeometryKit. Is it still interesting, or your re-design make it useless?

Best regards