gnu3dkit-discuss

[Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:06:06 -0500

On Sunday, December 22, 2002, at 10:17  AM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Hi,

while working on the new, simplified foundation of the 3DKit I'm getting more and more convinced that what we really need is an API/language which gives us great flexibility w/o limiting us to a particular gfx implementation or pipeline. As a consequence I am interested in a RenderMan like interface to be part of the 3DKit. This would simplify the API and implementation of the RenderKit itself, moreover it would ease the design of backend renderers - all this has to be investigated more carefully, though.

I'd like to hear your opinions about this, let me know if it fits into your ideas and plans for the 3DKit.

I read the RenderMan FAQ and I'm still a bit unclear on the exact nature of the RenderMan system. I'll have to read some more documents. The key seems to be the API/RBI. Does the language involve the production of geometry as well as the submission of triangles and shader instructions? Is the model data maintained by the renderer and accessed/modified through the use of the API/RBI? If so, that really changes my understanding of the best way to organize things, but I can see that it would allow for many improvements to the performance. Perhaps you don't intend to go quite that far. Please expand on how you would manage models.

Are you thinking about defining a new shader language as well?

Brent Gulanowski
--
Mac game development news and discussion
http://www.idevgames.com