gnu-system-discuss

Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: Alexander Vdolainen
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:44:06 +0200

Hi,
IMO GNU Hurd is a good thing to have, btw at the moment Hurd architecture
isn't so good:
 - it's a microkernel, isn't it? if so, why mach still contains drivers ...
why not to use a 3rd microkernel generation ... etc ...
 - MIG ... it's an ugly thing

as I understood GNU hurd development has stalled due to the different reasons,
but one of them is architecture itself.

To change this a lot of work is required, but nobody wants to go deep with
that.

however, if we're going to speak about GNU system we're limited with a few
components:
 - GNU userland - ok it exists
 - GNU toolchain - yep it works
 - GNU kernel/system services - ... nope
I know linux kernel just works, but it's not a GNU project.

Going back to the topic - I don't think RMS alone will able to close this
hole. It's a huge effort. To achieve this a group of interested people is
required - and that's the main problem.

Do u really want GNU kernel/system services ? If so how are you planning to
manage it?

--
Alexander Vdolainen,
The evil contractor.