gnu-system-discuss

Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: nipponmail
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:34:26 +0000

RMS could do it, remember he did the first version of GCC in a week. Also I get the impression that, for many people, gnu (and programming for the FSF) is used as "babys first coding job", while RMS is a true wizard programmer.

It would be better in his hands. You get what you pay for: when you pay little you get little.
When you pay your life: you get it all (but at such a cost).

Just as an aside: when I mentioned to law professors I wanted to dip my toe in copyright years ago: they suggested working for the FSF, SFConservancy, etc. You get neophytes pretty much for public-works foundations. Except for RMS: he's the real deal.

I think it's the copyright attribution requirement (kinda pointless in the USA since you can pull your copyrights anyway, if not a work for hire, after 35 years... : which is why one must see the GNU Copyright licenses as a /tool/ to furthur free-software: not as the _basis_ of freesoftware. There are also other anti-free software laws like ITAR and the crypto regulations: which do you choose? US law, or your creed?)

Also the demands made: I just showed someone on this list, a 22 year old frenchman, a 3d Free Software work I'm involved in. He decided to demand I rewrite it from scratch as a 2d or console "app", and use the GTK framework if using 2d. (lol: fsck off moron). He also complained that the game was 3d to begin with, and that it was 6+ GB (yes: lots of FREE(freedom) textures, assets, models, maps, music, etc: that's what games are made of...)

So yea: one is not going to get the best, or even good, when you treat your free help as slaves, or allow those who seem to represent your organization to.

RMS needs to do HURD if it is ever to come to fruition.
(and don't forget all the code execution security features (like GrSecurity/KALSR/etc have): they are needed today)