gnu-system-discuss

Re: GNU/Linux Activation Technologies

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Activation Technologies
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 00:58:55 +0300

Alexandre François Garreau <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le samedi 9 novembre 2019 21:27:41 CET, vous avez écrit :
>> Yes, of course.  Though, would consider the fact that it originates from the
>> Ukraine more suspicious, than usage of PHP mailer.
>
> Knowing rms’ config: PHP mailer and Message-ID not coming from emacs (hence
> not
> postfixed with .fsf, etc.), as he uses emacs and won’t use the web for that,

His genuine mails seem to have Message-IDs stamped by Exim rather than by
Emacs, actually.

> but could as well be located some place where his internet access exits at
> some place in Ukraine (he just have to have anyone hosting him behind
> mirohost.net): as he travels a lot, Ukraine wouldn’t be suspicious.

Okay, I perhaps chose the wrong wordings: the fact that it came to the
listserver _straight_ from some Ukrainian server made it suspicious:

| by eggs.gnu.org with esmtps (TLS1.0:DHE_RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32)
| (Exim 4.71)
| (envelope-from <address@hidden>)
| id 1iTQkg-0005C9-J9

Normally, the message should come from some machine related to the sender: like
portable.galex-713.eu in your case or fencepost.gnu.org in RMSʼs.

As for travelling, I am not sure, whether fencepost.gnu.org reveals in headers
where mail were submitted from, or whether it accepts mail by SMTP at all, but
RMS seems to submit his mail by SSH rather than by SMTP in any case:

<address@hidden>) id 1iSZeG-0003Oz-7M; Wed, 06 Nov 2019 23:43:56 -0500