gnu-system-discuss

Re: Magit inclusion into GNU Emacs (was: Making git as easy as CVS, for

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Magit inclusion into GNU Emacs (was: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts)
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 21:25:38 +0300

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would someone like to do the work required to get Magit included in GNU
> Emacs?  It has to do mainly with copyright assignments.

AFAIU, Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden>, the maintainer of magit.vc, had
already stated a couple of years ago, that he is not much interested in
encumbering the development with copyright assignments:

| The primary downsides of assigning copyright to the FSF that I see is the
"waiting for papers to be signed" part and that some potential contributors
will no longer be able to / be willing to contribute.

| > Other than getting papers from contributors, are there ways in which Magit
becoming part of Emacs would significantly change the development workflow?

| I would probably get drawn into more lengthy discussions.
|
| It's important to note that when Richard said that Magit should be "part of
Emacs", that really meant "part of GNU Elpa and/or GNU Emacs". If Magit is just
made part of Elpa (which I believe is all that Richard wants), then that
doesn't change much. We get protection at the cost of the assignment overhead.

| But I already wanted to add parts of Magit to Emacs itself anyway. Low-level
libraries that are useful beyond Magit itself, and which would benefit from
being built-in. That includes some existing ui libraries but also new libraries
I intend to write to replace old abstractions used in Magit, such as a
file-handler for Git blobs and trees. Magit would benefit if other Git related
packages used those, instead of everyone reinventing the wheel.

| Once some code is part of Emacs itself it will be more difficult to change
than if it were living in a separate repository. On the bright side, that would
likely motivate me to write tools to make that process less painful.
— https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14819256

His position might get changed since that, though.  Or yours.