gnu-system-discuss

Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 15:54:23 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 14:52:21 +0000
> From: Adam Spiers <address@hidden>
> Cc: Taylan Kammer <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> git uses fundamentally different paradigm to the model on which VC was
> designed.  One of many examples of this is that it requires staging changes
> before committing them.  My personal opinion is that it makes no sense to use
> version control frontend which is totally outdated relative to the backend in
> question.  I enjoyed using VC for many years (and hacked various extensions
> it), but it hasn't kept pace with the evolution of modern VCS frontends.  I
> estimate that its functionality is probably about 5% of what magit offers.

I wonder when did you last took a look at Emacs's VC.  It was
completely revamped several years ago to support dVCSes, and I'd be
surprised to learn that its functionality is only 5% of what Magit
offers; I think it's much more than that.  Many active Emacs
developers routinely use VC, and since our VCS is Git, that gives us
some evidence about the functionality VC provides for Git.

If you indeed didn't look at VC for several years, I urge you to take
another look.  You probably won't want to switch from Magit,
especially if you use only Git in your VCS-related work, but you might
change your mind regarding the current functionality of VC, including
when Git is the backend.