gnu-system-discuss

Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making git as easy as CVS, for handling merge conflicts
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:38:08 +0200

> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 14:51:26 +0000
> From: Adam Spiers <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >I wonder when did you last took a look at Emacs's VC.  It was
> >completely revamped several years ago to support dVCSes, and I'd be
> >surprised to learn that its functionality is only 5% of what Magit
> >offers; I think it's much more than that.
>
> Apologies if my knowledge is out of date.  I did a quick check before
> writing the above, and in the Version Control section of manual for
> 26.1 I cannot find a single mention of staging, nor any obvious way to
> selectively stage hunks, let alone selected links within a hunk.

That's because VC stages files silently behind the scenes when
appropriate, and doesn't support interactive staging (because it's a
Git-only feature).

> I could well be missing something, but it seems that maybe the
> manual hasn't kept pace, even if the code has.

No, the manual is reasonably up to date.  You just expect too deep
support of Git-specific features, which is not what VC strives to do.
It supports selectivity on file level, via vc-dir, but doesn't support
interactive staging and committing of individual hunks.

> Yeah, based on another quick glance I'd revise my estimate to maybe 20
> or 30%.

Thank you.

> It seems that there are still huge gaps, for example support
> for rebase/squash/amend/cherrypick/bisect workflows, management of
> branches and remotes, and options for standard operations such
> logging.

Logging is supported (if I understand correctly what you mean by
that), see "C-x v l" and "C-x v L", and commands available in the log
buffer these commands produce.  These and other related facilities are
described under "VC Change Log".